Wrexham 3 Boston United 1

Last updated : 05 May 2007 By Footymad Previewer
Wrexham escaped with minutes to spare to stay in the Football League and condemned Boston to the Conference after a stiff tussle in front of a bumper crowd at the Racecourse Ground.

Home fans celebrated at the end with thousands invading the pitch with good-natured humour and applauding the visiting supporters, feeling sorry for their plights.

But Boston struck first and silenced the home crowd late in the first half. Home defender Steve Evans missed the ball in a challenge on Drewe Broughton and Francis Green cut in to beat off two tackles and fire a low shot into the back of the net.

Wrexham drew level from the penalty just before the hour when a push on Danny Williams by Broughton was spotted by referee Steve Evans. Ryan Valentine stepped up to beat the Boston keeper Andy Marriott who had barely time to move.

It was a no-win day for Marriott, the former Wrexham favourite who faced either seeing his old or current club go down.

With news coming from Macclesfield that they were drawing with Notts County, it was desperate for Wrexham to hold on to at least draw to maintain their League status. They could not have foreseen the drama that was to come with two goals in the last four minutes.

Chris Llewellyn took a pass from Mark Jones, skipped around two defenders and blasted his shot past the keeper to bring the crowd to their feet. Llewellyn was booked for his wild celebrations and there was nearly trouble when a few fans went onto the playing surface before police and marshals restored order.

Then in the last minute Llewellyn crossed and Michael Proctor headed into the roof of the net to bring more wild celebrations with the certainty that there could be no chance of a Boston escape in the dying minutes.

Boston manager Steve Evans said he understood that following this result the club would go into administration, and that due to financial problems the players had not been paid for several weeks and he was proud of their efforts in their last ditch scrap attempting to avoid the drop.