Wrexham 2 Weymouth 0

Last updated : 26 April 2009 By Gvred

Wrexham 2 Weymouth 0

Wrexham ended their first season in Non league football by beating relegated Weymouth 2-0 at the Racecourse today.

Dean Saunders changed his line up again, with Michael Proctor and Jamie McCluskey coming in for Jeff Louis and Obi Anoruo. The Reds got off to a bright start, and after only six minutes should have been ahead. An Andy Fleming effort was deflected and from the resulting corner, McCluskey found Westwood, but his header cleared the bar from only eight yards out.

The Dragons then went into their usual mode, having plenty of possession but unable to create any clear cut chances. To their credit though, Wrexham stuck to their task and were rewarded after twenty nine minutes. Another good delivery by McCluskey was headed goalwards by Aiston, and Proctor was on hand to twist and smash the ball into the roof of the net for the opener.

It was Proctor's first goal of the season, and the striker almost doubled his tally a minute later when he got on the end of an Aiston cross, but he could only find the side netting.

Wrexham's second arrived after thirty three minutes. Aiston, who was having a good game broke clear, and his cross into the danger area was met by Flynn who slotted home from close range.

With Wrexham now looking comfortable, some comedy defending almost let Weymouth back into the game. Kempson hit a poor back pass towards Maxwell, but the ball rolled to Coutts who could not beat Maxwell from close range. Kempson was again the culprit minutes later, but this time it was Onibuje who failed to find the target.

Wrexham started the second half looking to finish their opponents off. First McCluskey had a good effort saved by Legzdins, then Aiston tested the keeper with a rasping shot which was well saved.

Wrexham continued to press, and Legzdins again saved well from McCluskey, and then from the resulting corner,Kempson's shot was cleared off the line and the rebound fell to Fleming whose shot was brilliantly saved by Legzdins.

The game was turning into the Legzdins show,and on seventy two minutes, the keeper tipped over a Michael Proctor header, then produced another save from a Nathan Fairhurst shot.

As time wound down, Maxwell had to be alert when Akurang was put clear, but the strikers shot was well saved by the Wrexham keeper. As the fourth official indicated two extra minutes, Jon Brown came on for Proctor, but the teenager did not get in on the action as the referee blew time on Wrexham's first season in Non league.