Wrexham 1 Macclesfield Town 1

Last updated : 05 April 2008 By Footymad Previewer
The Red Dragons came within an ace of grabbing three points against Macclesfield Town but, before the game, manager Brian Little had said it was a must-win match if they were to avoid relegation.

Jonathan Brain flew across his goal to keep out an effort from Drewe Broughton which looked like giving victory to the home side.

Jamie Tolley shocked the home fans in the 51st minute when he put the Silkmen ahead. Steve Evans failed to clear his lines and Francis Green passed the ball to Tolley who gave Gavin Ward no chance with his low drive.

Minutes later it took another save from Ward to deny the lively Tolley a second.

Wrexham got back into the game in the 79th minute, when substitute Michael Proctor's long throw-in led to the grand finale.

Wrexham should have had the game in the bag in the first half when they completely dominated affairs yet Brain had only one save to make when he tipped over a shot from Danny Williams.

Broughton was the guilty culprit as he missed several glaring opportunities to break the deadlock and Chris Llewellyn hit the side-netting.

The Red Dragons then had two escapes in a minute - Ward had to make a great save to deny Gareth Evans and, from the corner, Shaun Brisley headed over the home bar.

Steve Evans also missed a chance to score when he met a corner from Simon Spender only for the ball to fly wide while Broughton should have done better when he was clear on goal but he lashed his 18-yard effort wide.

Although Gareth Evans played well in midfield, Macc were not creating many clear-cut chances.

It was only when manager Little took off Richard Hope and Danny Williams that Wrexham suddenly started to gain the upper-hand.

Substitutes Stuart Nicholson and Proctor made the running which forced the Silkmen to panic and waste time which annoyed the home fans, although it was during stoppage time that the Red Dragons missed the chance to grab a vital win.