Wrexham 0 Kidderminster Harriers 1

Last updated : 24 March 2009 By Gvred

Wrexham 0 Kidderminster Harriers 1

Wrexham's playoff hopes have surely disappeared after Kidderminster Harriers stole all three points at the Racecourse. A goal in the third minute of injury to condemned Wrexham to their second successive home defeat, and they now trail Harriers by seven points, having played a game more!

Dean Saunders made five changes from the Crawley defeat, Taylor, Aiston, Fleming, Anoruo and Louis coming in for Curtis, Brown, Fairhurst, Proctor and Jansen, and again Wrexham started well. Aiston shot wide after only two minutes, While Williamson whipped in a couple of dangerous corners.

After ten minutes Williams flapped at a cross which could have gone in under the bar but drifted wide in the wind.

Anoruo was looking lively on his first league start and went close on fourteen minutes after good work from Louis set the youngster up with a header from close range.

Wrexham were well on top, but like Saturday they were not turning their possession into goals. Barnes-Homer fired a good chance wide of the target on twenty four minutes, this was followed by some good work by Flynn who got past his man and crossed for Louis, who forced a fine save from Bartlett in the Kidderminster goal.

More hustling by Louis got Anoruo in on goal, but again Bartlett did well to block the strikers effort when a goal looked likely.

Wrexham were keeping the pressure on Harriers, and Sam Aiston was unlucky when his shot struck the post with Bartlett beaten.

The last action of the half saw a scramble in the Kidderminster area, with the ball bobbing up and down in the wind, Harriers managed to clear their lines and the half ended goalless.

Wrexham continued to press in the second half, Anoruo had an effort over the bar, then the impressive Aiston brought another good save from Bartlett.

The wind assisted onslaught that Wrexham were expecting in the second half was not materialising, and Wrexham continued to press. A speculative cross from Aiston caught Bartlett unawares, but the ball struck the top of the bar and bounced to safety. Andrew Crofts had a shot blocked by the Harriers defence, and from the corner he put a header wide of the target.

Wrexham were still unable to fashion a goal, and as the game moved into the final ten minutes, Kidderminster were starting to have a good spell of their own. Wrexham were defending better though and were dealing with the long range assault.

Then as the game moved into injury time Kidderminster completed the smash and grab. Wrexham defended two quick corners, only to give a third away deep into injury time. With everyone pulled back to defend the ball was lofted into the area and McPhee's downward header bounced high into the Wrexham net.

It was cruel on Wrexham, but yet again Wrexham had not turned possession and chances into goals, and now with only nine games remaining, the Dragons have a mountain to climb if they are to make the top five.