Wrexham 0 Crawley Town 2

Last updated : 22 March 2009 By Gvred

Wrexham 0-2 Crawley Town

Wrexham's promotion hopes hang by a thread after suffering a 2-0 defeat at the hands of fellow play-off chasers Crawley Town at the Racecourse ground today.

The loss was the first defeat they have suffered at home under Dean Saunders, and with their games in hand all but gone and only ten games remaining, the Dragons face an uphill struggle to reach the playoffs.

Saunders made two changes from Tuesday's win at Northwich, with Williamson and Brown coming in for Tremarco and Baynes, and the team started well with Brown and Westwood both having half chances in a good early spell. Then Jansen tested Rayner in the Crawley goal with an effort that the keeper did well to block.

After ten minutes Wrexham had the ball in the net, Proctor getting on the end of a Williamson free kick to head in at the far post, but the linesman had his flag up for offside and the effort was ruled out.

Two minutes later Wrexham where behind. Michael Malcolm got past John Curtis and crossed for Isiah Rankin who headed in from close range with the Wrexham defence nowhere.

Wrexham responded positively with Fairhurst scuffing a shot wide, and Flynn also testing the goalkeeper. Territorially Wrexham were on top, but Crawley had a game plan to stifle and frustrate Wrexham, after twenty three minutes Collin made a superb tackle to deny Rankin, while Weatherstone had Williams worried with a long range effort.

At the other end ,the lively Flynn again tested Raynor, but Crawley were proving dangerous on the break and doubled their lead on thirty four minutes. Some more comical defending between Williams and Westwood allowed Bullman to pick up the ball and square it to Matthews who scored from close range.
The rest of the half was scrappy, with Crawley content with what they had and continuing to frustrate Wrexham with their time wasting tactics.

Dean Saunders made two changes at half time, Replacing Westwood and Jansen, and bringing on Mike Williams and Louis, but it had little effect as the visitors continued to frustrate their opponents.

On fifty one minutes Williams made a fine save from Giles, then Matthews fired a good chance wide for the visitors.

Crawley continued to work hard denying Wrexham space or time on the ball, and players and fans alike were getting frustrated.

Fairhurst fired an effort over the bar for Wrexham, but Crawley were restricting Wrexham to long range efforts and hurried attempts.

Wrexham continued to plug away, and were now camped in the Crawley half. Suffo had a free kick easily saved by Raynor, then a few minutes later Williamson went closer, his corner beating Raynor and bouncing off the cross bar.

Try as they might, Wrexham could not breach the Crawley defence, Louis put Williamson in on goal, but his effort was blocked by the keeper and the follow up was cleared off the line!

Wrexham were then denied a penalty, when Bullman clearly handled Flynn's effort, then in stoppage time Louis was denied by Raynor, who blocked the striker's goal bound effort.

The referee brought an end to proceedings with a section of Wrexham fans needlessly booing the team. The result leaves Wrexham In tenth place, while Crawley have improved their own playoff hopes and moved up to seventh.