Northwich Victoria 1 Wrexham 2

Last updated : 18 March 2009 By Gvred

Northwich Victoria 1 Wrexham2

Wrexham halted their recent slide by taking all three points in this hard fought game at the Marston's arena.

Wrexham Made three changes from Saturday's draw at Woking, Nathan Fairhurst, Michael Proctor and Carl Tremarco Replacing Andy Fleming, Jeff Louis and Sam Williamson.

Wrexham started brightly, and after six minutes a dangerous Wes Baynes cross was sliced over his own bar by Meadowcroft.

Wrexham gifted Northwich the lead after 12 minutes, Anthony Williams raced out of his goal and barged into Ashley Westwood who seemed to have things under control, Perry had the easy task of rolling the ball into the empty net and put the Vics ahead.

The lead lasted barely a minute though, Matt Jansen showed great control taking a cross, and rifled his shot past Clarke in the Northwich goal to put Wrexham level.

Northwich Should have regained the lead on 34 minutes when Jonny Allen headed wide from two yards. Jansen was showing some good touches and set up Fairhurst in injury time but his shot was well wide.

Wrexham started the better of the two teams in the second half, but again were showing no cutting edge to their play. steadily lifting the tempo of the game, and getting in a number of crosses without bothering Clarke.

On 66 minutes Wrexham missed a great opportunity, Some good work by Proctor got Jansen clear on goal, he skipped around the goalkeeper but somehow managed to shoot over the bar from eight yards!!

Flynn then made a brilliant saving tackle on Perry, tracking back 40 yards to get a last ditch tackle in as Perry was about to shoot.

Then on 74 minutes Wrexham took the lead, Anoruo dragged two defenders wide, Fairhurst burst through the gap and unleashed an unstoppable shot from 25 yard s that gave the goalkeeper no chance.

Anoruo then beat Ryan Brown to a long punt forward, but his centre could not be met by Jon Brown. Wrexham then had a free kick which Tremarco fired wide of the upright. The referee signalled four minutes of injury time, and although Northwich pressed forward, Wrexham held on for what could yet prove to be a crucial three points in their bid to get back into the football league.