Ketterng Town 1 Wrexham 0

Last updated : 20 April 2009 By Gvred

Kettering Town 1 Wrexham 0

Wrexham failed to score for the fourth successive game, and despite dominating the game for long periods lost for the tenth time on their travels this season.

Dean Saunders again made changes to his line up, Taylor, Curtis, Fairhurst, McCluskey and Louis all coming in, with Assoumani, Baynes, Williamson, Fleming and Anoruo making way.

Wrexham got off to the worst possible start,going behind after only two minutes. A ball played over the top caught Ashley Westwood napping, and allowed Ryan Charles to evade the centre half's crude attempts to halt him and side foot the ball beyond Maxwell.

Wrexham were struggling to stay in the match in the early stages, and Kettering should have doubled their lead after twenty six minutes, when Maxwell produced a flying save from Beardsley's shot.

Wrexham were creating very little up front, McCluskey having their best effort of the half with a twenty yard drive which was just wide of the post.

The half ended with Kettering well on top, and from a series of corners Spann headed the ball into the path of Beardsley, whose shot was well saved by Maxwell. The resulting corner flew straight into the net, but the referee blew for a push on Maxwell.

Jon Brown replaced Spann for the second half, and there was more urgency about the Reds play. McCluskey floated in a cross which beat Harper but was just inches wide. Then the winger almost got Brown in, but the ball was cleared for a corner.

McCluskey was again in the action when his free kick was headed off the line by Branston, but moments later Wrexham should have been two down when Charles had the goal at his mercy but hit his shot wide.

Anoruo and Kearney replaced Flynn and Fairhurst as Wrexham pushed men forward in an effort to get an equaliser. But it was Kettering who were looking the more dangerous on the break.

The fourth official indicated four minutes added time, and as Wrexham pushed forward, Kettering again could have sealed the game when Marna weaved his way into the goalmouth but his shot found the side netting.

So the referee blew time on another frustrating afternoon for Wrexham, their lack of a cutting edge again proving to be costly in a season that at one stage promised so much.