Eastbourne Borough 1 Wrexham 0

Last updated : 07 March 2009 By Gvred

Eastbourne Borough 1 Wrexham 0

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders rung the changes for Wrexham's first ever visit to Langley sports ground. Mike Williams, Jon Brown, Andy Fleming and Jamie McCluskey were all axed, being replaced by Auerlien Collin, Sam Aiston, Nathan Fairhurst and Michael Proctor.

Just like Tuesday night, Wrexham had by far the better of the first half without coming close to scoring. Proctor was busy upfront, having some nice touches but the Eastbourne centre backs were never troubled. The best chance of the half fell to Eastbourne on thirty two minutes; Wrexham cleared a corner as far as Armstrong who did well to put in a cross for Austin who headed wide from seven yards.

There were no further chances in the first half, 0-0 just about summing up the game!

The second half began in much the same vein as the first. Wrexham passing the ball around, but showing no cutting edge.

On 50 minutes some nice work by Aiston created some room for himself, but his 30 yard effort was well wide of the mark.

Two minutes later Flynn found himself on the edge of the area, but again the finish was very poor going at least ten yards wide of the target!

Then some good work by Aiston and Proctor set Aiston free, his cross was met weakly by Louis but was deflected for a corner. From the corner Aiston again tried his luck from long range but yet again the goalkeeper wasn't tested.

Wrexham were forcing the pace now and Aiston was fouled on the edge of the area, Fairhurst's effort was just inches wide with the goalkeeper beaten.

Just after the hour the ineffective Jeff louis was replaced by Patrick Suffo. But it was Eastbourne who were having the better of things now, an Austin shot was saved by Ward in the Wrexham goal, as Eastbourne started to get a second wind. Then another cross had to be dealt with by the Wrexham keeper as Eastbourne pushed forward. Collin then did superbly denying Crabb with a last ditch tackle, Eastbourne were now well on top and threatening the Dragons goal.

With 20 minutes remaining Baynes replaced Flynn for Wrexham. He was immediately into the action winning a free kick just inside the Wrexham half. With ten minutes left Jon Brown was thrown on in place of Proctor as Wrexham tried to steal all the points.

Collin then did well again blocking another shot, a minute later a free kick was lifted into the box causing panic in the Wrexham defence, but Suffo cleared the danger. Eastbourne were now looking much the likelier to take the points, with Wrexham looking clueless upfront and Proctor who was Wrexham's best player off the field!

Then with six minutes left Wrexham's inability to defend set pieces again cost them dearly. A corner was poorly defended leaving Matt Smart with a free header from six yards which was despatched at the second attempt after Ward had pushed the first effort onto the crossbar.

Immediately Baynes had a chance to equalise, but his hurried shot was blasted well over with Suffo in space.

The fourth official indicated five minutes of added time, Wrexham were pushing forward looking for an opening but in the final third of the field they were very poor.

Baynes cut inside making some room for a shot, but his shot was cleared up field. A Fairhust free kick was then easily cleared by the Eastbourne defence who had not been put under any real pressure all afternoon.

The referee blew time on another toothless performance from Wrexham. For a team with promotion aspirations Wrexham look devoid of ideas in the final third and Dean Saunders now needs to look for a striker as the Dragons now face an uphill struggle to make the playoffs.